Monday, September 6, 2010

Week 12, meal 1

What does one do with kale? I thought about putting it in a vase with water and keeping it on the table. I thought about giving it away. Then i looked up some info about it and decided to make this soup, partly two receipes combined, partly my own creation.

Sweet Potato, Corn and Kale Soup

3 L good quality vegetable stock (I used better than bullion)
1/2 C. corn starch
1/3 C. water
1 C. chopped of each tomato, carrot, celery,leek, sweet potato (I used 2 C sweet potato and ommitted celery since I have a friend who HATES celery HI Stephanie!)
1/2 lb kale, chopped
2 cloves garlic
6 ears of corn
1 can canellini beans
3 bay leaves
1 t. dried thyme

Take every vegetable but the kale and bring to a boil with the stock. Reduce heat to a high simmer. Add bay leaves abd thyme. Cook for about 40 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender enough to eat. Whish together corn starch and water and then slowly whisk into the soup. Add the kale and cook until the kale only has a slight bite to it. This is also when I added the tomatoes since I forgot about them in usual fashion until it was nearly time to serve. This is also when you would add the drained and rinsed beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the flavors meld, you have enough time to make some delicious grilled slices of ciabata bread! Heat up a grill pan and drizzle a little olive oil on the bread. Place bread oil side down and grill until it browns and you have some good color. Flip over, toast for a minute. Rub a clove of garlic on olive oil side and lightly salt. So perfect with the soup!

This actually makes a TON of soup, enough for 10 people. I froze all my leftovers since Stephanie and I were the only ones eating it but I'm thinking I might pull it out at my next dinner party, soups only taste better the more time the ingedients have together. Highly reccomend trying this soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment